Timothy F. Hegarty, a Partner at Zetlin & De Chiara, is well known for his successful litigation and transactional practice in the area of construction law with an emphasis on construction and development contracts, claims, arbitration, mediation, and surety law. Mr. Hegarty counsels property owners, developers, institutional clients, lenders, private equity firms, owner’s representatives, architects, engineers, design consultants, construction managers, general contractors, and various trade contractors. He has drafted and negotiated complex design, construction and development agreements for high-end projects involving traditional delivery methods as well as construction management, design-build, integrated project delivery and public private partnerships. Mr. Hegarty helps clients negotiate contracts, mitigate disputes that often arise during design and construction and resolves large construction claims for projects located both across the United States and internationally. Mr. Hegarty also has litigated construction cases in Federal and State Courts. Mr. Hegarty assists clients with their design and construction related legal issues from adjacent property and access license agreement related issues as well as preconstruction, demolition and from concept design through construction administration and post-project completion by anticipating and addressing common issues, outcomes and consequences that may impact their project.
Mr. Hegarty is an adjunct professor at Columbia University where he has proudly taught "Legal Issues in Building Construction" for more than ten years. He has counseled clients on projects that touch all ends of the construction built environment including redevelopment, adjacent property issues such as license agreements and disputes involving change orders, extra work, additional services, liquidated damages, delays, payment/ performance bond/ surety issues, mechanic’s liens, cumulative impact claims, lost productivity, acceleration and inefficiency claims for projects of all types including mixed-use commercial developments, residential communities, office buildings and universities, healthcare, hospitals, pharmaceutical, casinos and public projects, among others.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Hegarty worked as a civil engineer on complex construction projects and developed a keen ability to read and understand plans and specifications - a highly specialized skill that provides him with a distinct advantage and perspective when evaluating claims and preventing and resolving disputes.
In addition, Mr. Hegarty is General Counsel to the American Council of Engineering Companies of New Jersey. He also serves as a member of the Glen Ridge Planning Board where he has also served as the Acting Chairman of the Board.
Mr. Hegarty is one of the contributors to "Construction Law," Second Edition, 2019, published by the American Bar Association and is a frequent speaker before professional audiences including the ASCE, ACEC, AIA, PANYNJ and The New York City Bar Association. He has also written numerous articles for various publications including the New Jersey Law Journal. He has also served as a visiting lecturer at Manhattan College, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn Polytech University and New York Institute of Technology.
The following are select representative matters:
Honors & Recognitions
News & Events
- 08.19.2021Best Lawyers®
Zetlin & De Chiara lawyers received wide recognition by Best Lawyers in their 2022 edition for being among the most skilled and accomplished construction lawyers in New York and New Jersey.
New York, NY, (August 20, 2020) -- Zetlin & De Chiara LLP is pleased to announce that nine lawyers have been included in the 2021 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America. Since it was first published in 1983, Best Lawyers has become regarded as the definitive guide to legal excellence.
In addition, three lawyers have been included in the 2021 Edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch recognizes lawyers demonstrating outstanding professional skills early in their careers in private practice in the United States.
- 09.26.2019American Bar Association
Carol J. Patterson served as the lead editor for the newly revised American Bar Association (ABA) Forum on Construction Law's updated textbook, Construction Law, Second Edition, which is now available. Timothy Hegarty is among the co-authors of the textbook.
Purchase the book here https://www.americanbar.org/products/inv/book/364203111/
- 08.15.2019The Best Lawyers in America 2020
Eight attorneys at Zetlin and De Chiara LLP were recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© for 2020.
- Tim Hegarty Featured in The Dotted Line: How to Make the Most of Contingency Funds-Construction Dive
When it comes to meeting deadlines and budgets, a little bit of a cushion is always a plus for contractors. That could come in the form of some extra time built into the schedule or as additional material that saves the day when, for instance, an inexperienced worker butchers a few pieces of drywall.
Timothy F. Hegarty, a partner at construction law firm Zetlin & De Chiara LLP, will speak at the AIA Project Delivery Symposium 2019: Delivering the Future in Washington, DC from March 11-12, where members of the development, design, and construction communities, will share perspectives on the latest strategies for driving project outcomes, allocating risk, and employing software to close the gap between design, fabrication and construction.
Zetlin & De Chiara LLP announced today that the firm has once again been selected for National Tier 1 in the areas of Construction Law and Construction Litigation by U.S. News for its annual “Best Law Firms” ranking.
Zetlin and De Chiara LLP, a leading construction law firm, is honored to announce that seven of the firm’s attorneys have been named “Best Lawyers in America” for 2019. Additionally, co-founding partner Michael Zetlin has been selected as a “Lawyer of the Year” within the Construction Law practice group in the New York City region by the respected, peer review guide.
New York, NY (August 15, 2016) - Zetlin and De Chiara LLP is pleased to announce that seven of the firm’s attorneys were named to the 2017 Best Lawyers in America list.
Best Lawyers is the oldest and most highly-respected peer review guide to the legal profession worldwide. Ranked attorneys reflect the high level of respect earned among other leading lawyers and clients within their communities and the same practice areas for their abilities, their professionalism and their integrity.
- 03.2016The Cooperator
When your building or association is faced with an exterior maintenance or repair job, it’s important that you don’t just hire the first contractor who comes along; carrying out your due diligence can make the difference between working cooperatively with a contractor to get the project completed on time and on budget, or winding up with partial or poorly-done work and a mess of legal problems after the fact.
- New Jersey Law Journal, February 21, 2005, "New Partners Yearbook" mentioned Timothy F. Hegarty's recent promotion to partnership at Zetlin & De Chiara LLP
New Jersey Law Journal, February 21, 2005, "New Partners Yearbook" mentioned Timothy F. Hegarty's recent promotion to partnership at Zetlin & De Chiara LLP. A brief biography of Tim Hegarty is presented that includes his noteworthy accomplishments.
James Terry, Partner and Timothy Hegarty, Partner
How to Address the Impact on Development, Construction and Design:
Answers for the Construction Community
- Monday, September 23
Timothy Hegarty, Partner - Moderator
Patricia Harris, Special Counsel - Moderator
Timothy Hegarty to moderate "State of Alternative Project Delivery Methods" panel on Monday
Patricia Harris to moderate "Extending Your Firm's Geographic Footprint" panel on Monday
Tim Hegarty, Moderator
Shannon Campbell - Inspira Health Network; Bill Hercules - WJH Health; Geoffrey Neumayr - San Francisco Int'l Airport Planning, Design & Construction; David Cook - Grimshaw Architects
The increasing demand for successful project outcomes continues to drive the design and construction industry toward innovations in project delivery. Recent strategies such as Progressive Design Build and Integrated Project Delivery are rapidly evolving, and coupled with the relentless advancement of digital technologies, these delivery methods are transforming the traditional relationships among owners, architects, and builders.
- 09.25.2017Timothy Hegarty, Moderator
- Zetlin & De Chiara Partner Timothy Hegarty Presents at AIA Contracts Seminar
- 11.2012Construction Law and Expert Witness Issues for Forensic Engineers
- 10.2012Integrated Project Delivery, A Case Study
- 09.2012ACEC Tri-State Convention - Engineers: Doing the Right Thing
- 09.2012ACEC Tri-State Convention: Ethics for Engineers
- 06.2012Sustainable Practice Workshop
- 05.2012The Art of Pursuing International Work
- 02.2012Ethics for Engineers and Architects
- 11.2011Ownership Transition: Legal Issues
- 10.2011ACEC New Jersey Fall Business Conference - Engineer's Construction Phase Services: Pitfalls to Avoid
- 09.2011Construction Law and Expert Witness Issues for Forensic EngineersManhattan College
- 08.2011Sustainable Practice Workshop: Contract Documents and Practice - Contemporary Issues & Concerns
- 05.201150th Annual Meeting of Invited Attorneys - The Citicorp Center Project: LeMessurier Stands Tall
- 10.2010ACEC Fall Convention: BIM, the IPD Revolution and the Legal Issues You Need to Know
- 07.2010SMPS National Convention - Ownership Transition: Legal Issues
- 04.2010Columbia University Mentorship Program - Construction Contracts: The Basics
- 01.2010Design/Build, Construction Management, Contract and Specification Issues
- 09.2009Lorman Continuing Legal Education Program: The New AIA Construction Contracts
- Fall 2006Visiting University Lecturer: Managing the Engineering and Construction Process
- Fall 2005Visiting University Lecturer - Construction Disputes: Their Prevention and Resolution
- 05.2005Managing Construction Projects in New York
- Fall 2004Visiting University Lecturer - Construction Disputes: Their Prevention and Resolution
- 05.2004Construction Litigation in New York
- 05.2003Construction Litigation in New York
- 04.2003AIA New York State's Spring Symposium Program: Contracts and Insurance Requirements in New York State
- 2002Drafting/Negotiating Owner-Architect Agreements
- 2002Adjunct University Faculty Construction and the Law
- 2002Visiting University Lecturer: Architecture and the Law
Following our webinar, COVID-19 Challenges to the Construction Industry, we assembled a Questions & Answers based upon questions participants posed and to issues we discussed.
Mock Mediation Led by Z&D"s Tim Hegarty Adds Dimension to Columbia University Course.
- "The Design Team's Roles and Contracts"ABA Construction Law, Second Edition 2019
Summer turned up the heat at Zetlin & De Chiara LLP where we were involved in two of the most prominent construction cases in the nation. With attorneys airborne between the East and West Coasts, the office has been busy on the ground with client matters, fielding questions from the press, speaking at industry events and supporting community and professional organizations. Even as the temperature outside cools, our high level of activity shows no signs of chilling.
- 02.2016Arbitration is Under Attack: Counsel Should Pay AttentionNew Jersey Law Journal
- 12.2013Construction Today
- 02.28.2013Mann Report
- 09.2012Collaboration by Contract: The Legal Side of Integrated Project DeliveryZetlin & De Chiara LLP Review
- 12.2011New Opportunities in a Down Economy: Position Your Firm AccordinglyReal Estate Weekly
- 07.2010Fast Forward: Marketing Through Leadership ChangeSociety for Marketing Professional Services White Pater
- 12.27.2005Developer's Silver Lining to High Energy Prices: Green Building and LEED Green Building Rating SystemNew York Real Estate Journal
- 03.2003Construction Contracts (Chapter 3)New York Construction Law
- American Council of Engineering Companies, New Jersey - General Counsel
- American Institute of Architects, Richmond County - former General Counsel
- Glen Ridge Zoning Board of Adjustment
- New Jersey Alliance for Action
- New Jersey Bar Association
- New York Building Congress - Member, Healthcare Committee
- Columbia University, Adjunct Professor
Rutgers School of Law, Newark, J.D.
Rutgers College of Engineering, B.S.C.E.
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York