David A. Beatty represents architects, engineers, owners, design professionals, contractors, and real estate owners and developers in complex construction and related litigation. In addition, Mr. Beatty has advised large construction contractors, commercial property owners, and others in matters pertaining to Labor Law accidents. As part of a comprehensive litigation strategy, Mr. Beatty has counseled clients on risk transfer and indemnity issues raised by contracts and insurance policies. Mr. Beatty also has experience defending individuals and organizations against claims of medical malpractice and other forms of professional negligence.
Mr. Beatty brings deep experience in appellate litigation, having briefed, argued or otherwise litigated more than thirty appeals before the appellate courts in New York. Mr. Beatty’s appellate experience spans the litigation life-cycle, from jurisdiction, discovery matters, and summary judgment to post-trial legal sufficiency and excessiveness of damages.
Mr. Beatty has served as an adjunct assistant professor in the Economics Department at CUNY Hunter College, where he teaches a course on "Business Law." The course is designed to introduce undergraduate students to the common law and Uniform Commercial Code that governs contracts and negotiable instruments. Mr. Beatty has been published in the Albany Law Review on issues relating to the preservation rule of appellate advocacy and the New York “deviates materially” standard of review for damages.
News & Events
- 08.19.2021Best Lawyers®
Zetlin & De Chiara lawyers received wide recognition by Best Lawyers in their 2022 edition for being among the most skilled and accomplished construction lawyers in New York and New Jersey.
Construction law firm, Zetlin & De Chiara LLP is deepening its bench with the addition of two attorneys, Rebecca Ahdoot and David A. Beatty.
Summer turned up the heat at Zetlin & De Chiara LLP where we were involved in two of the most prominent construction cases in the nation. With attorneys airborne between the East and West Coasts, the office has been busy on the ground with client matters, fielding questions from the press, speaking at industry events and supporting community and professional organizations. Even as the temperature outside cools, our high level of activity shows no signs of chilling.
- Keith L. Kaplan & David A. Beatty, The Impact of the Vissichelli Decision in Defending Nursing Homes Against the “Insanity” and “Continuous Treatment” Tolls, 2017(1) AHRMNY The Risk Management Quarterly 18 (2017)
- Richard J. Montes & David A. Beatty, The Preservation Rule in the New York Court of Appeals: How Recent Decisions and Characterizations of the Rule Inform Advocacy, 78 ALB. L. REV. 119 (2015)
- Richard J. Montes & David A. Beatty, Are the Appellate Courts Deviating from the “Deviates Materially” Standard of Review?, 77 ALB. L. REV. 13 (2014)
- CUNY Hunter College, Economics Department, Adjunct Assistant Professor
St. John’s University School of Law, J.D.
State University of New York at Buffalo, B.A.
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York